News on the Trail
May 13, 2020
The concrete down under the new pavilion!
April 27, 2020
The new Pavilion is completed! Now all we need are some cement and some grills! We are getting ready for the riding season!
Your club dollars at work! A new covered pavilion began construction at Fechtel State Park. We will have shade and a dry place to hang out!
- Beth Emmons and Chris Drooker got new horses….congratulations, ladies!
- Tracy McCommon has a new trailer. Hope you and your family enjoy your new “home away from home”!
- Valerie and her herd moved to her new ranch in Fort White. Her ponies are enjoying the room to run. They are not to sure about all that tall grass though. Valerie says they don’t want to venture beyond the places they have cropped short. They’ll explore soon I’m sure!
FLORIDA GREENWAYS AND TRAILS SYSTEM PLAN RELEASED – The Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Office of Greenways and Trails has released the Florida Greenways and Trails System 2019-2023 Plan. A vital part of the plan is to establish a stronger relationship with planners, land managers and other stakeholders at all levels, both public and private. They wish to share this plan with others in support of a common vision of creating a strong Florida greenways and trails system. The plan notes that Florida’s outdoor recreation and trails have long been an economic driver, generating $17.9 billion in wages and 485,000 direct jobs. The plan is available for download at https://tinyurl.com/y2lusaly.
- HAPPENINGS IN THE HORSE COMMUNITY
- Florida Horse Park has the following events happening this Fall:
- We have received an email from Judy Spires, on behalf of Larry Gunnell, and Carol Spelz. You may or may not know, but this trio works tirelessly keeping the trails at Fechtel safe and mowed. Hurricane Irma has caused a lot of damage to the park, so extra efforts are needed to return the park to its former condition. Here is an excerpt of an email from Judy asking for help in this effort:
“I am writing this on behalf of Carol, Larry and myself. We have riders inquiring about helping with cleanup at Fechtel, which is greatly appreciated.
If you have ridden Fechtel since the hurricane you know what a mess we have. The north end is cleared and mowed unless more came down after the rain storm Monday night. We are in process of clearing the main road south. Lots of large trees are down preventing access to other trails.
Many of the trails are so wet they can’t be cleared so we are waiting for those to dry up some before scheduling an official workday. That will happen. We need lots of help and means of getting volunteers to and from the trails.
In the meantime, during the week, we are taking a few volunteers and working the dry trails. Larry, Carol and/or myself are required to be there so we have to schedule according to the times we have available to work with those that can help. Those that are available to help before the organized group workday, can contact me by email, phone or text, 352-459-5129. I will keep Larry and Carol apprised.
We so appreciate everyone’s concern and willingness to help. This will take time to get our beautiful trails rideable but working together, we can do it!
- Board members met on July 16, 2017 to set the new ride calendar.
- Welcome to four new board members: Julie Cesary, Trudee Mason, Robin Bures, and Brett Bures
- Club dues for 2017/2018 are $20 per individual and $35 for a family. Sign up forms and releases will be US mailed to each individual on the roster, along with a copy of the ride calendar.
- Robin Bures has a new horse and Tracy McCommon has a new trailer….congrats to you both! Can’t wait to see them both in the new ride year!